Diabetics are more prone to problems in their feet than non-diabetics. If left untreated, it can lead to amputation. There are several reasons for diabetics to develop foot problems……
- Uncontrolled blood sugar levels.
- Poorly fitted shoes.
- Reduced blood circulation in the feet due to hardening of the arteries.
- Injury (either external or internal) to the foot.
- Fungal infection.
- Walking barefoot, specially on uneven surface.
- Smoking, which causes damage to the small blood vessels in the feet.
- Improper care of feet.
- Foot deformities.
- Lack of awareness of diabetic foot care.
If you, your family member, or friend has diabetes, ensure that the feet are not neglected.