I came across a news item recently that mentioned the top 5 diet trends for 2013 in the US. The article said that the trends have been derived from a nationwide survey answered by 200 registered dietitians.
Here are the 5 diet trends –
- Natural and simple foods with few ingredients and minimally processed are ‘in’. Low carb is ‘out’.
- To lose weight, consumers will look for wheat belly / gluten free diets along with commercial diet programs.
- Dietitians, social media and smart phone apps are the top 3 resources for nutrition advice.
- Consumers will focus on eating high quality calories. It’s not about the total calorie intake but where the calories are coming from.
- Fruits and veggies remain king. Consumers will look to include more plant based foods in their diets.
My take on this – most of these trends can be applied for Indians too. However, I would not go with commercial diet programs or gluten free diet plans as a means to lose weight. If you’re looking to lose weight, approach a qualified dietitian for help.